Peace of Mind Testing

Peace of Mind Testing

DNA paternity testing is the use of DNA profiling (known as genetic fingerprinting) to determine whether two individuals are biologically parent and child. DNA testing is the most reliable way of determining paternity with a level of confidence 99.99%. A paternity test establishes genetic proof whether a man is the biological father of an individual. The testing is performed by collecting buccal cells found on the inside of a person's cheek using a buccal swab or cheek swab. The sample collector rubs the inside of a person's cheek to collect as many buccal cells as possible. The buccal cells are then sent to a laboratory for testing. For paternity testing, samples from the alleged father and child would be needed.   Estimates vary, but perhaps at most 1 child in 10 is not a biological child of the man who believes he is the biological father. Doubts of paternity can cause a great deal of anxiety within a family and can lead to strained and damaged relationships. Polygenyn Ltd. offers a number of paternity tests. The most popular is a “Peace of Mind Test”. These are typically carried out using the DNA collected from the potential father and child. There is no need for the mother to be tested in this case. However, at polygenyn we encourage the child’s mother to attend the sampling appointment so that she is aware that a test is being carried out. We do not generally send sampling kits out to people’s homes. The reason for this is simple. There could be situations when there could be doubts about who the samples were taken from and how they were taken. This is why we encourage our clients to come to our clinic for sampling. The process is carried out by one of our trained samplers. We ask for identification so we can verify who has been sampled. We also take pictures which are filed with the paperwork for future reference of required. For this reason we are slightly more expensive than so called “Home testing”. When we promise to carry out “a peace of mind test” that is what we do. We ensure there is no doubt who was sampled and when. Sampling is normally carried out by taking cheek swabs. This is a painless process and involves wiping swabs inside the cheek to collect check cells for the DNA analysis. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes per person. There are some occasions when samples are taken by heal pick. This is only carried out on newborns and babies less than 3 months old. Once the samples are taken they are then sent to the testing laboratory by courier. The DNA results are normally available within 5 working days. The reports are sent by post to all parties and parties are also informed over the phone.   The results are reported in the format of a letter summarising the result. This will tell you that you, YES you are the biological father or NO you are not the biological father. You will also receive a table showing the gene loci identified for all individuals tested. This will form the basis of the statistical calculations carried out that is reported as the paternity index and the probability of paternity. If the alleged father is the biological father, the results will show a probability of 99.99%. If the alleged father is not the biological father, the results will show a probability of 0%.